Applying for a Kenyan Passport - lessons learned

I went to apply for a passport on Monday, 16th September, 2014. I reached the location at 8.15 a.m., as I had been informed of the need to arrive there early by a friend and I also read this post:  http://www.hapakenya.com/how-to-apply-for-a-kenyan-passport/

When I reached, I found about 20 people already on the line! I Sat down quietly, knowing that it being morning, there is a chance that the line will move fast as the Immigration Officers (and most other people) are usually fresh and ready to work in the morning.

It took about one hour for me to reach the counter and be served. I was asked for the required documents which I gave out. The documents included: original ID, original birth certificate, copies of parents ID, marriage certificate (if married), copy of PIN, and three passport photographs, one of which was signed by your 'recommender' (a 'recommender' is someone who recommends you and according to the Passport application form, should be a religious minister, lawyer or a banker).

The Immigration Official was very fast in his work and quickly checked all my documents, and returned my original ID. He however, took my original birth certificate and told me that I will get it upon receipt of my passport. He handed my documents to the cashier who sits next to him and I was told to pay. Payment depends on the type of passport you need: A 32 page is Ksh. 4,500, a 64 page is 7,500.

Taking the photo
I was then sent to take a photograph. I went to the room, but there was no one, so I had to wait about ten  minutes. Thereafter, a lady came and called me in. I was told to remove my glasses and look straight at the camera. After the photo was taken, with a lot of face here, no, face there, I was allowed to look at the photo. Then I was told to come back in 2-3 weeks, with my receipt.

As I left the office at about 9.15, I found a line of people who had come to collect their passport. I asked a lady in the line how long she has waited, I was told that she had waited for over one month! This was not encouraging and I am hoping this was an exception and not the norm.


I plan to go back in one month's time as I have to ask for leave from my place of work and I want to give them ample time to process the passport. But what do I do if it is delayed? I have heard that the delay may be due top bribes, but I will not bribe, I'd better complain and escalate the issue? What do you think? Is bribing justified? I need to travel soon in November.

Update: Three weeks later
I have gotten my passport!!!! Yes I am happy and I will explain how this happened. Two weeks after I had applied for my passport, I was informed by a colleague that in order to get the passport on time, I should use Twitter. I tweeted to the immigration department (the handle is @ImmigrationDept) and asked about my passport. They responded in about ten minutes informing me that it was not ready and that I should check on three days later. I checked three days later and tweeted to them and they informed me it was ready. I then went to Nyayo house and picked up my passport. 

However, when I went to Nyayo house, it was not so easy to pick the passport. The first place to go to is desk 13 (as indicated on the hanging notice above the counter). There was a long line. They then checked and wrote my passport's number on the receipt I had been issued earlier. Thereafter I then went to counter 14, where they took this recept and told me to sit down and wait. There were about 50 people ahead of me. 

Then the waiting began. 

I waited from 9.45 to 10.45 and because of the large numbers of people, I had to stand for the whole time. Lesson here is to go very early to Nyayo house; be there by 8.30 AM. at 10.45 my name was called out and then I went to another counter next to counter 14, where I collected my passport and left.

Disclaimer:
This post is about my own experience and you may face a similar or completely difffrent one. Feel free to share your experiences/comments below...

Comments

Anonymous said…
do you know if its possible to send your wife/ fiancee to pick up your passport once its ready?
Hi Anonymous,

Yes it is possible, just go with your ID and invoice you were given. Feel free to ask me anything else.

Kibet.

Popular posts from this blog

He Will Bring Us Back to Our Land

How to Stand Your Ground Despite Opposition