How to Be Confident in Your Own Skin

An African Family, Photo by Carrita Tanner on Unsplash

During a recent trip to Malindi, I was aboard a plane that was mainly filled with tourists, mainly Caucasian ‘white’ people. I somehow felt inferior as I thought this is an African country, but most people flying are Caucasians!

I reflected on this feeling and wondered why? I shouldn’t feel less than them, yet I did, why? A short contemplation made me note that as African people we are bombarded by images of Caucasians.

We don't see Africans represented much in the art around us, either on TV or in real life art. For example, from when I was young, the cartoons I watched were mainly of Caucasian children. From the likes of Transformers, Disney World, etc, there were no black people at all. Indeed, even right now, in the 21st Century, it is hard to find quality cartoons featuring African children.

I also noted that it is really my problem and no one else. It is a problem of perception. I was not confident in my skin in part as I had not been around such a large number of ‘Caucasian’ people in a long time. Lack of exposure can cause this inferiority feeling. The only non-black people you know or have seen are on TV so it is shocking when we are immersed in a sea of otherness.

So, what to do in such situations?

I noted that I need to be confident in my own skin. Being black is not a crime. Despite subtle acts of racism perceived (a wrong perception?) such as Caucasians holding onto one’s bag tighter when an African man appears or fear in others' eyes, I need to hold my head up high. A good example was a black lady at the airport who walked majestically as she went shopping in the airport, and another who talked to a large group of Caucasian men with her hands akimbo, extremely confident.

But more structurally, in the area of art and entertainment especially for children and youth, we need to create more art that represents us. How many interesting black cartoons do you know? I am happy to see more and more such as ‘Supa Strikers’ and a recent one I came across on YouTube called ‘Karma’ a really nice one this of a rapping girl in middle school (grades 6-8).

Any thoughts? Have any of you felt the same? Any suggestions on how to be confident in public? Share them below:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He Will Bring Us Back to Our Land